Monday, May 08, 2006

Post-Kzoo Post Tomorrow

But today I have news!. I returned from Kalamazoo to learn that I've been awarded a Millicent C. McIntosh Fellowship from the Woodrow Wilson Foundation.
W00T!
I really wasn't expecting to get this, but I guess Woodrow (being a Jersey guy like myself) was smiling down on me.

And this came after I had the pleasure of being the outside reader for a really great Philosophy thesis defense (attempting to apply Kant to animal rights issues), in which we spent an hour and forty-five minutes in spirited argument (the candidate, three philosophy profs, one physicis prof, one German prof, four other students and I). I heart out Philosophy department at Wheaton, which has three profs who are all brilliant and just love to argue and seems to be filled with brilliant, argumentative students as well. Boy was it fun! And then I went and picked up my mail!

And it was a particularly great day, because for me, it's always "Post Kzoo, anima est triste." Not today.

(that might be the nerdiest thing I've ever written on this blog; and it would be even nerdier if I took time to decide how to decline "Kzoo").

So I'm going to buzz around the house like a hummingbird on espresso for a while. Post-Kzoo Post will be tomorrow if son and grading cooperate.

3 comments:

Eric Kingsepp said...

That's great, congratulations! Looking forward to reading about the Zoo.

[Incidentally, I'd go for third declension for K'zoo: K'zoo, K'zonis, K'zone, etc. :-)]

Ecce Equus Pallidus said...

Congratulations! That's wonderful!

theswain said...

I'm a week late, but congratulations!! That's great news....

BTW, I too would go for 3rd decl. but Kalamazoensis, -ensis,